Sunday, January 8, 2017

SHENANDOAH, PA







Like I may have stated before, snooping around in Historical places that are not too far from me, is one of the things I enjoy doing.

The Coal Mining Town of Shenandoah, PA is one place that is loaded with History from our past.  Once a thriving Coal working town that had hundreds of immigrant miners working in the "Man Made Hell" of a Coal Mine that were in the area when Coal was King.  Working conditions were very bad.  Safety was not a big issue back then.  Hundreds of Miners were killed in the working mines by cave-in's, black lung, falling rock, and explosions from methane gas that would ignite from the burning flame from the miners hat.  The pay for loading 1 ton of coal was very low.  It was hard back-breaking work.  The Miner made barely enough to scrape by.

The above sign tells most of the story of what happened here in Shenandoah, PA.  Not much else that I can say or know.  There is much more that happened in this Coal Mining Town, but you have to know where to look.  You also have to ask alot of questions from the local people that live in the area.  Some of them are full of information, some have no idea what town it was that they now live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and viewing my Blog. Your comment is always appreciated on what I have to say. I hope that you enjoyed what I Post. I am very THANKFUL that I have so many Followers.

If you have noticed that I haven't commented on your Blog, it's because at times I just don't know what to say and not because I'm not watching.

Corker2 (Les)